The little black dress. A classic white button down. A crisp trench coat. Pearls. Black pants. Some things never go out of style! When it comes to building your wardrobe, you carefully curate pieces that can be worn over and over again. But what about your fragrance? Do you stick to a staple that’s been with you for years or do you change your signature scent to suit the latest trend?
Building a fragrance wardrobe is all about understanding your own sense of style and selecting a few fragrances that can match your mood as well as your outfit. Here are some tips from the team at Noteology on how you can build a fragrance wardrobe that ensures you never leave home without a signature scent!
Choose Carefully: One of the first steps in building your own library of fragrances is to think about how often you wear fragrances. If you’re a daily wearer, you may be good with rotating between 3 and 5 different scents. If you’re only an occasionally wearer, 2-3 may be just fine. Be realistic about how often you wear your fragrances so that you don’t stock up on too many bottles that run out their lifespan before you get to fully enjoy them!
Change Notes with the Seasons: Just as you swap out sweaters for shorts or florals for plaids, think about how the seasons affect your mood and whether or not you’d like to choose a signature perfume or cologne to compliment a change of seasons.
For example, here are some notes that you’ll find fit perfectly with other seasonal aromas:
- Fall: Earthy woods, like patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, amber, cedarwood, or oakmoss.
- Winter: Orientals or gourmand notes, like vanilla, amber, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, honey, or pepper.
- Spring: Fresh notes or crisp herbals like mint, mandarin, grapefruit, basil, sea spray, or rosemary.
- Summer: Florals and fruits, like rose, bergamot, jasmine, honeysuckle, coconut or peach.
Dress for the Occasion: Cocktail dresses that glitter and cozy flannels both have their place in your wardrobe, but it’s the occasion that makes the decision on which to choose. Make your perfume choice reflect the occasion by choosing a perfume or cologne to match what’s on your calendar. Try:
- Choosing an everyday scent that’s just like your go-to handbag - something you could wear most days that you love. We will recommend:
- Selecting a scent for date night. Something that makes you feel sexy and is totally alluring. (We’d choose #354 inspired by TF Noir pour femme and #535 inspired by Montale Intense cafe for captivating your love!)
- Picking a perfume or cologne for special occasions where you want to feel dressed up. Go with a scent that’s totally chic or feels luxurious, like Goldy or #427 inspired by LV Ombré Leather
Remember, you don’t need to have a new scent for every day! Instead, choose a few that you really love that you can enjoy with the moment, the seasons, or a favorite ensemble.